When you experience an auto lockout or need car keys made in Toledo, OH, you need to be careful who you call for help. Locksmithing is unfortunately an industry filled with fraud, and falling victim to it will reduce your security and your peace of mind. Here are five common locksmith scams and how to avoid them:
- The new handle: This is an old trick that intends to separate you from your money as quickly as possible. The scam involves telling you that the only way to solve your lock issue is to break your door handle and replace it. Then, they overcharge for a new handle that is inferior quality to the one they broke. In reality, it is rare to require breaking a door handle. If anyone insists this is necessary, perform some quick online research or excuse that locksmith and secure a second opinion from another.
- Only taking cash: Accepting only cash payments is not a matter of trust in customers. There are too many ways to accept debit cards on the go and ensure you are not passing off a bad check. It is a way to erase a paper trail so a scamming locksmith cannot get caught. Reputable locksmiths provide a bill and receipt and offer the ability to take cards. Do not work with anyone who does not want to keep a written record of their work.
- Identity theft: The world is full of security breaches, and identity theft and locksmithing is no different. Avoiding cash payments is a good call, but offering up a card and personal information also comes with risks. You do not want to replace a lock only to find unauthorized charges on your statement. Before you hire a locksmith, read online reviews and ensure they are properly licensed. Otherwise, you could be taking an unauthorized risk.
- Overcharging: We all leap for the deal, and locksmithing is no different. Paying only $15 for these services looks like a good bargain. In reality, it is actually a foundation for being overcharged. Many scammers advertise the low cost only to tack on additional fees. If the price is too good to be true, it likely is exactly that. Similarly, when an estimate far exceeds the prices quoted by other companies, you are most likely being scammed.
- Secret key copies: If you are having new keys cut, it becomes especially important to work with an authorized locksmith. Scam operations may create extra car and house keys so they can break in later (or have a less savory friend do so). You can catch these scam operations by finding online reviews and working only with reputable locksmiths. A local shop with a strong reputation in the community is a great place to start!
Toledo Lock & Key LLC are your auto lockout experts in Toledo, OH. If you need car keys made or experienced key cutting, we can help you. We are a local business with over 30 years of experience. Call us today to arrange for locksmith services.
Categorised in: Automotive Locksmith
This post was written by Writer