Your car’s locking mechanism is a pretty important aspect of your vehicle. A proper lock ensures your safety and prevents would-be thieves from stealing your car. There are several different types of car locks that all serve the same general purpose: to keep you safe and your vehicle secure. Continue reading to learn more about different car locks and how you can unlock a car door without a key in Toledo, OH:
- Manual lock cylinders: These classic locks are typically only found in older vehicles nowadays. They work by simply pulling up or pushing down on a knob. Pulling up opens the door, while pushing down locks it. You need a car key to open doors with this type of lock.
- Electronic locks: Many newer cars have electronic locks that open the door with the push of a button on a key fob. These locks are safer, as they make your vehicle harder to break into. However, replacing a lost key fob is much more expensive than cutting a new key for a manual lock.
- Keyless systems: For ultimate convenience, consider getting a vehicle with a keyless entry system. These cars have a keypad on the door that automatically unlocks when it detects the key fob nearby. Again, cars with keyless systems are extremely secure.
- Child safety locks: Parents with little ones should always engage the child safety locks in the backseat when they’re driving their kids around. These locks ensure the car door can’t be opened from the inside, so there’s no risk of your child accidentally opening the door and falling out.
How to open a door without a key
If your vehicle has manual lock cylinders, you may be able to open a locked car door without a key in Toledo, OH. Here’s how you can do it:
- Coat hanger: You’ve probably seen characters in a TV show or movie try this method. The idea is to straighten out a coat hanger and slip it between the window and door frame. Once one end of the coat hanger is in the door, you grab the lock and pull up to unlock the door. The big danger with this technique is the risk of scratching your door or window.
- Shoestring method: You can also try to unlock your car door without a key in Toledo, OH by using one of your shoelaces. Create a slipknot with your shoestring and gently maneuver the shoestring between your window and car door. Once the end with the knot is in the door, you might be able to grab the lock and pull it up. This method will take some time and effort, but it’s worth it if you can get your door open!
- Call a locksmith: When all else fails—or if you’d rather not risk damaging your vehicle attempting one of the DIY methods above—call a trusted locksmith to open up your car door for you. A locksmith can be on the scene in no time at all to open any type of car door.
If you get locked out of your vehicle, be sure to call our team at Toledo Lock & Key LLC to open it up for you. It doesn’t matter if you drive an older vehicle with a manual lock or a brand-new luxury car with a keyless system—we can open all different types of car locks in Toledo, OH.
Categorised in: Car Lockout Service
This post was written by Writer